Nic posted 04-29-98
from "Chili Madness" Cookbook
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 medium onions, coarsley chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 pound lean pork shoulder, course chili grind
1 pound beef round, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1/2 pound beef chuck, course chili grind
1 4 ounce chopped green chilies
1 tablespoon ground hot red chili pepper
2 tablespoons ground mild red chili pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 6 ounces tomato paste
3 cups water
1 16 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1. Fry bacon in a large, deep, heavy pot over medium heat. When the bacon has rendered most of its fat, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and reserve.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the bacon fat and cook until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the pork and beef to the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook over med-high heat, stirring ocasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients except the beans and the bacon. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir occasionally.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in the beans and bacon, and simmer, uncovered, for 1/2 hour longer.
6. Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.
Go to Mimi's Archive Page
Return to Mimi's Recipe Request Line