posted by alsgirl 12-05-98 3:46 AM
ORANGE CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
1/2 lb. Butter, unsalted, softened
2/3 c. Sugar
1/2 ts. Salt
2 lg. Egg yolks
1 ts. Vanilla
2 1/3 c. Flour
1 c. Dried cranberries
3/4 c. Old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 ts. Freshly grated orange zest
1/2 c. Sugar (approx.)
1. Make a basic butter cookie dough: In lg. bowl of mixer, beat together butter, sugar & salt until light & fluffy. Beat in yolks, 1 at a time, then vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in flour gradually, beating dough just until well combined.
2. In a bowl, soad cranberries in warm water to cover for 15 min. Drain cranberries well & chop fine.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In mixer bowl, beat cranberries, oats & the zest into the basic cookie dough just until well combined (I use the dough hook for this).
5. Form dough into 1" balls, then roll in sugar to coat.
6. Arrange balls 2" apart on baking sheets & flatten to 2" rounds with bottom of a glass wrapped in wax paper to prevent sticking.
7. Bake cookies in batches in the middle of the oven @ 350 deg. for about 12 minutes, until pale golden.
Cool on racks.
Cookies may be stored between layer of wax paper in airtight containers up to 6 weeks frozen.
Makes about 7 dozen cookies.
From Gourmet, Dec., 1995
Go to Mimi's Archive Page
Return to Mimi's Recipe Request Line