Cooking time for Halloween Worms: ~ 5 min.
Prep time for Halloween Worms: ~ 15 min., plus overnight chilling
Notes: Use a cleaned 1-quart milk or orange juice carton to hold straws
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) raspberry or grape flavor gelatin
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 100 flexible plastic straws
- 1 tall (same height as extended straws), slend 4 cup container
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 12 to 15 drops green food coloring
- In a bowl, combine gelatins.
- Add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve.
- Chill until lukewarm, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in tall container.
- Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture.
- Pour into container, filling straws.
- Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Pull straws from container (if using a carton, tear carton away from straws).
- Pull straws apart; run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time.
- Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers; lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Worms will hold at room temp. up to 2 hours.
Per worm: 17 cal., 42% (7.2 cal. from fat; 0.4 g. protein; 0.8 g fat (0.5 g sat.); 2 g carbo.; 6.8 mg sodium; 3 mg chol.
Makes about 100, including a few casualties.